Friday, May 25, 2007

Settling In (part 1)

Visa
Instead of getting a student visa, I still had one entry valid on a 90-day two-entry tourist visa, so I just used that. It was okay with both IUP and the Chinese Consulate in New York. I'll have to renew it in the fall, but supposedly that's not difficult once you're here.
Packing
I brought one large suitcase and one GIANT duffel bag (and I mean giant). Granted, some of the stuff was for family and family friends, so I'm not ashamed admitting how much I brought. Some key items: hard contact solution, purell, sunscreen, pepto bismol, toiletries (somehow, I find even the American brands in China don't compare to what you get in the US so I just brought my own).
Arriving in Beijing
My dad picked me up at the airport, which was quite convenient when it's 10 pm and you don't know where you're going. My suitcase rode shotgun since both bags wouldn't fit in the trunk (the cabs here are kind of small).
Housing
I'm living with my dad in Shangdi (上地), one subway stop north of the university area, until IUP starts. Then, I'm moving in to an off-campus apartment near Wudaokou (五道口). At IUP, you can live in foreign student dorms, with a host family, or in on-campus or off-campus apartments. I thought about just living with my dad, but realized I probably wouldn't get as much out of it as living on my own, so I opted for an apartment.
The IUP office has been sending out e-mails from current IUPers who want to sublet their apartments, so I just e-mailed one of the girls and voila, I had my apartment. It was super easy. I'm actually taking over Megan McLaughlin's room (she was at IUP on Light this spring). Sixth floor, without an elevator. This is what I've been training for all year living on the fifth floor!
Registering with the Local Police Station
Technically, all foreigners have to register with the police within 24 hours of arrival. Most hotels do this for you and I'm assuming most programs, too, but since I'm living with my dad this month, I had to do it myself. And by myself, I mean with my dad, which turned out to be quite helpful because there's all sorts of paperwork involved (all of which is in Chinese). IUP has information to help you, but my dad has already been through the process, so he just took me. I'll need to change my registration once I move into my apartment, so next time, I'm attempting it on my own!
Opening a Bank of China Account
Again, dad was instrumental. All the paperwork was in Chinese and I couldn't understand half of what the teller was asking me. I did recognize the words for signature (qian1zhang1 签章), and understood that she asked for 15 RMB (I think 5 was to open the account and 10 was the initial deposit). Tips: You want an ATM card (the lines for the tellers are ridiculously long), and an account that'll let you wire money from abroad (hui4hu4 汇户). (The exchange rate is more favorable for money that's wired than cash exchange, although it takes a little longer. Bring some traveler's checks in the meantime). Also, be sure to change the PIN on your ATM card (they give you one in this sealed envelope), and cover your hands when entering your PIN (there are cameras behind and above you, and I'm pretty sure they can see the keypad).

Up next: a SIM card for my cell phone (apparently there are different kinds if you want to predominantly make calls, receive calls, or text?), wiring myself some money, random other things that I can't remember right now

No comments: