Tuesday, June 26, 2007

IUP Begins

My schedule:
8 am - Danbanke (one-on-one): Reading Course (Thought and Society)
9 am - Hebanke (three-on-one): Listening Course part 1 (Frankly Speaking)
10 am - Hebanke (three-on-one): Reading Course (Thought and Society)
1 pm - Hebanke (three-on-one): Listening Course part 2 (Frankly Speaking)

So far, not too much work. About 100 words per day, plus some homework. Most of the time is spent on learning new material for the next day, since one-on-one and three-on-one classes are pretty intense. Chinese 133 definitely prepared me well - I'd estimate about 1/3 of the words in the first lesson are familiar.

In other news, life outside classes is great! I caved and bought a bike, and am now trying to learn how to mount and dismount the Chinese way. (explanatory pictures to come) I've also tried a new restaurant in Wudaokou almost every meal. Let me just take a moment to say that I love living with native Chinese people!! Especially since both my roommates went to college in Beijing, they know the ins and outs of the city: where to eat, where to visit, where to play. I also lucked out a little, since my roommates love to chat and take me around the city, and don't mind me pestering them with questions about Beijing, China or Chinese (at least not yet...)

No comments: